Decode Secondary Air Injection Pump in your 2.0 by tdogg74

By diyauto
( 1 )

2 minute read

Decode Secondary Air Injection Pump in your 2.0 

Compliments of tdogg74 @ www.vwvortex.com

This post is to decode your secondary air pump out of your OBDII 2.0 Golf/GTI, Jetta &Cabrio. ***Please note, I am in NO WAY suggesting you disable the SAI pump to accomidate after-market superchargers, cutom intake manifolds, or to simply remove it because the pump sh*t the bed. The SAI pump is part of the emissions system of the car and is a Federal offense to remove any emission equipment that came from the factory. The information given is mainly for engine swaps into earlier generation VW's that did not come with the pump originally.   ***

There are ECU coding tables on page ST-25 of the Bentley manual that list the different coding states of the car's ECU. First table is the code for manual/auto tranny. Second table is for OBDI cars with/without EGR.
The bottom paragraph gives the code to either equip or unequip the secondary air injection pump. The first two codes are TIER 1 & Tier 2. This represents an ECU NOT coded for the air pump. TLEV 1 & TLEV 2 ARE for ECU's coded for an air pump. I am not positive about the Cabrio's. Looking at that table woul lead me to believe that all Cabrios came with a SAI pump. IMHO, changing the coding to 0000 would work because its the same as the Golf/Jetta.
You will need a registered version of VAGCOM to perform this change. Simply follow the directions at the bottom of the table and you will be all set.  

Comments