- 3.5 Qts of your favorite oil (I used 5W30 Mobile 1 Synthetic)
- Oil Filter
- 19mm Socket
- Something to drain the oil into
- Jack Stands
You must be logged in to rate content!
2 minute read
Changing the oil in a 1990 Miata
This is an easy job and should only take 20 minutes if that.
1. Jack up front of car, secure with jack stands
2. Open oil filler cap to help the oil drain more freely
3. Use a 19mm socket to take the drain plug off
4. After the oil has drained, remove oil filter. The Miata filter is super small, I didn't need an oil filter wrench to remove. Use paper towel to catch some of the mess
5. Wetten the seal of the new filter with oil and screw onto engine
6. When engine is done draining replace bolt on oil pan
7. Add 3.5 qts of oil
8. After adding the oil, check the drain plug and filter to make sure nothing is leaking. Also check the oil level with the dipstick. If all is well replace the filler cap and you are good to go.