Retro fitting the cabin pollen filter. by Tony S

By diyauto
( 1 )

Retro fitting the cabin pollen filter.


Compliments of Tony S @ jaguarforums.com


7-12-2011

Us poor relations here in the UK don't have the cabin pollen fitted as standard.
So being a "if it's available, I want it" sort of bloke, I went ahead and fitted one.

(Copied from XKEC Forum .......... Written by myself, so nobody else to thank).

............................................................................................................................................................................

Right, after looking at a stripped down XK at a mates gaff ..... Thanks Tone Click the image to open in full size.I decided it was about time I rolled my sleeves up and fit the pollen filter and frame, which had been sitting in my garage for the last few months Click the image to open in full size.. Plus my dear lady has started suffereing with the dreaded hay fever, so it was time .........

Using a pointed impliment (I am over 16 years old .... in body anyway) remove the 4 covers which allow access to the screws.


Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Using the same tool, remove the two nut covers on the wiper arms and also pull off the water feed pipes. The pipes were a bit tight but came off without too much grief.


Click the image to open in full size.

To remove the wiper arms, uncrew the nut, leaving a couple of threads still attached and using a "beefy" screwdriver, lever up the arm against something solid below and then a good hard tap on the nut released the arm from the tapered spline. Don't be frightened to give it a good hard sharp tap.


Click the image to open in full size.

Remove all 8 self tapping screws and the two plastic expanding fixings at the front of the scuttle plate. Also, there are 2 rubber straps which have to be un-clipped. These hold the scuttle drain pipes in place.


Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.


Lift off the scuttle plate and turn it over to reveal the main water supply pipe, again, it comes off quite easy. Beware .... When turning over the scuttle, watch out for the circular guides the self tappers pass through. They look to be secure but do drop off, so it's best to remove all of them and put to one side.
** You can see one of the circular guides in the picture directly above**. It's sitting underneath the slot.


Click the image to open in full size.

Next, remove the plate which protects the cabin air intake from water ingress. It has to be gently peeled off and the foam rubber passing over the circular plastic wiper disc. Once you see this, you'll understand immediatly what needs to be done. Also a couple of small hard rubber pieces will be sitting in the foam rubber. What these are for, I have no idea, but they will be there.


Click the image to open in full size.

Yet another plate and two plastic brackets have to be released to gain access to the wiper arm and motor assembly and to fit the pollen frame.


Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

With this plate lowered the wiper arm and motor assembly is ready to be removed.


Click the image to open in full size.

Undo the 3 securing bolts, pull off the throttle cable clip which holds in place against the wiper linkage. Then slightly lift the assembly and reach underneath and remove the electrical connector. The metal bar has to be pushed in to release the holding tangs. And finally cut the tywrap which secures the electrical cable. The whole assembly can now be carefully lifted out.


Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.


After a spot of hoovering to remove all the debris and bits of "compost", you're left with a gaping hole ...... Oo Er Mrs!!


Click the image to open in full size.


The pollen filter assembly consistes of 3 main components. The frame, filter and 2 "self tapping" 6mm bolts (probably used to cut their way through the paint in the threads).


Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.


After a lot of cursing and swearing ....... "Oh why did I start this 'kin project" It dawned on me that I was trying to put the dammed frame in the wrong round Click the image to open in full size.. Once it was rotated the correct way, in it went ........ Piece of cake.
Use the picture as reference to which way round the frame fits.


Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.


And that's jolly well it ..........
When I re-assembled everything, I used stainless steel nuts, bolts and self tapping screw to replace all the cr*p rusty stuff I removed.

Start to finish was about 4 hours, which included a couple of cups of tea, a fair bit of cursing and swearing and off on my pushie to the local stainless fabrication workshop to buy all the stainless fixings ......... 2 quid all in Click the image to open in full size. 

Once all was re-assembled, I tested the system to see if the airflow was impeded, which it didn't seem to be.

Technical question ...... I did remember it being mentioned, when I first posted up a question about fitting a pollen filter, that the fan UCU has to be re-programmed, via the WDS, to up all the fan speeds to overcome the resistance of the pollen filter element ....... Any comments on this please from you techies, as if it's necessary, I'll pay a visit to my local independant to have the ECU re-programmed accordingly.

Phew!!, I'm all photo bucket and edtied out ........ I'm off for a lay down.


Comments